I really lucked out this year; my company is giving us the entire last week of December off. I will have 7 straight days of sitting at the house after Christmas. It’ll be a great time to do some remodeling things…
If we follow our theoretical schedule, the first thing to do is build a roof over the deck, then install an egress window. I can’t do either of those alone. The basement bathroom is next, but it’s too costly.
The “2nd floor” next to the garage has been annoying me for a while.
The garage flooded into the carpet pad in this room during a heavy rain, so I cut out that section of the carpet. Now we have a nice triangular section of bare concrete floor. (You can see the corner hidden behind the couch above.) I would really like to remove the rest of the carpet, but we’re not ready to buy the hardwood we want to replace it with.
Then I saw this on Pinterest:
It’s a floor covering made out of Kraft paper; the stuff paper grocery bags are made of. The paper is basically decoupaged to the floor, stained, and the polyurethaned the heck out of. It can look pretty terrible if it isn’t stained, but it only costs about $25 plus polyurethane to do. This post was really helpful. She’s done most of her house with this floor treatment.
First came the convincing Michael I’m not bat-crazy. Then we checked the wall studs for water damage, and started the tester section. Ignore the front corner of the tester-that part was stained 3 different colors.
I call it good enough for 2 or 3 years until we put hardwood down. I was ready to go! I had an awesome easy-but-slow project that would occupy me for a week. The best thing is, you can lay hardwood right over this stuff.
But there’s more.
A dark brown floor, in a dark brown paneled room = yuck. So then the increasingly too-much-for-me-to-do-in-a-week project was born.
Project: The 2nd Floor
Currently, the 2nd floor is used for nothing. It has a collection of furniture that isn’t needed elsewhere, paneling, a fogged up door, and a weird little tetris-shaped ledge under the window. We’ve removed a few panels, but here is the current room;
When this room is totally done, it will have bamboo flooring (with the rest of the house), have a half wall open to the basement, have a built-in to camouflage the weird tetris wall, and be missing the paneling and popcorn ceiling. I want to use it as the office.
The mood board below shows what I’m aiming for. We already have the desk, the bookshelves, the paint, the couch and the art (all nerdy stuff; Pink Floyd,star wars, etc.). This shows how I want the built-in to look, and how everything will fit together.
The final flooring, windows, and doors will all come later, but there is still plenty we can do right now.
So, the project is…
- Demo! (Carpet, Popcorn, trim, the 1/2 wall)
- Frame 1/2 Wall!
- Install paper floor!
- Build a Built-in!
- Finishing touches! (Replace brown power outlets, light fixtures, air registers, etc.)
We could spend oh, 4 full days for each item 🙂 28 days, and I have 7. Obviously I won’t be able to finish before I go back to work on the 3rd. Instead, I’m going to focus on demo. Michael has one day off next week, and we’re hoping to frame the opening to the basement then. Exciting Stuff!